Cooking Faba Beans
Here is a few handy hints in how to cook faba beans from scratch.
1/2 cup dried WGS Whole Faba Beans
Water to cover
1. Start by rising your whole faba beans and removing any foreign matter.
2. Place your dried fava beans in a pot of water so that they are fully submerged.
3. Place the pot on the stove and bring it to a boil for 3 minutes.
4. Let the beans soak for 1 hour to fully rehydrate. The dried beans will need at least approximately 8 cm of water above them as they will expand as they soak.
5. You will probably want to shell the beans as the skin can tough and leathery. The easiest way to do this, is to squeeze the bean out of its casing using your fingers after boiling for 3 minutes.
6. Faba beans are used for the preparation of stews, soups and dishes made of lamb, poultry and seafood. They have a sweet, mildly grassy flavour and starchy or creamy texture which is excellent in combination with tomato, onion and carrot.