Faba Bean Hummus Dip
1 hours plus preparation of faba beans
4 - 6
A dip with a difference
· 2 cups dried fava beans
· 2 cloves of garlic, peeled
· 3 tablespoons sesame tahini paste
· 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (juice from 1/2 large lemon)
· 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
· 1/2 teaspoon ground roasted coriander seed
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1. Cover the fava beans in cold water and soak overnight.
2. Peek the tough, green outer husk of the fava bean off and discard.
3. Put the shelled beans in a pot, cover with water, and salt with about a teaspoon or so of salt. Bring to a boil, and simmer gently for 15 minutes until the beans are soft and starting to fall apart.
4. Place the fava beans and all the ingredients except the olive oil into a food processor, and pulse until well blended.
5. While the food processor is running, slowly add the olive oil in a thin stream until you get a smooth, creamy consistency. Add additional olive oil by the teaspoon if 1/4 cup is not enough for you. Taste and correct for seasonings.
Serve with fresh veggies and pita bread. Keeps for 1 week in the fridge.