French Green Lentil Soup
Delicious on a cool winters night
1/2 cup WGS French Green Lentils
2 cups chopped yellow onions
1 tbsp minced garlic (2 large cloves)
3 tbsp good olive oil
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp minced fresh thyme leaves
1 tsp ground cumin
1 cup medium-diced celery
1 cup medium-diced carrots
2 cups chicken stock
2/3 cup water
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano
1. In a small bowl, cover the lentils with boiling water and allow to sit for 15 minutes. Drain.
2. In a dutch oven over medium heat, sauté onions, and garlic with the olive oil, salt, pepper, thyme and cumin for 10 minutes, until the vegetables are translucent and very tender.
3. Add the celery and carrots and sauté for 5 more minutes.
4. Add the chicken stock, tomato paste and lentils. Cover and bring to a boil.
5. Reduce the heat and simmer covered for 1 hour, until the lentils are cooked through.
6. Uncover and check the soup periodically to ensure there is enough broth and/or water to cover the lentils. Add more if needed.
7. Check the seasonings and adjust to taste. Stir in red wine vinegar.
Serve hot, topped with a dollop of sour cream, cilantro and sprinkled with freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano.